Author Topic: Endeavourcat 30 - Bob Perry Review  (Read 9307 times)

Offline Bruce Phaup

• Administrator
  • Swabbie
    • Intercat 1500 - Hull #121 - Sandy Claws
Endeavourcat 30 - Bob Perry Review
« on: October 18, 2006, 05:07:21 AM »
Perry Design Review: Endeavourcat 30
A cruising multihull with Hydra-cell design

by Bob Perry
Sailing

You should get accustomed to multihull reviews from time to time in this section. There are too many new cruising cats and trimarans to ignore, and they do, in fact, offer some very interesting alternatives to the stock monohulls we are so well acquainted with. Endeavour has put a lot of effort into bringing us a cruising cat that puts the emphasis on comfort.

I will admit that on paper this may not be the most handsome of designs. The sheerline that gives most designs their basic character is, in this case, almost dead straight, and the cabintrunk appears both boxy and bulky. The good news is that this boat is far better looking in person than it is on paper. Viewed in profile on paper, the catamaran gives no indication of the great beam, and the result is a stacked up look that is diminished when you see the boat in the water.

The symmetrical hulls of this design are separated by a V-shaped center section that Endeavour calls a Hydra-cell. The best way I can describe this section is to call it a stepped V-hull ending in a flat wedge. You just have to see it. Outboard of the V-shaped section are flats that fair into the hulls. These flats have recessed tunnels. It is a complex shape that is unlike anything I have seen.

The hulls have shallow, molded-in keels and very shallow rudders for a draft of 2 feet 10 inches. I think it is clear that this cat is not the type that will blow the doors of any monohull. The responses to my multihull reviews seem to indicate that there are people out there who are insulted by the idea that not all multihulls are faster than all monohulls. Well, you had better get used to it. Endeavour lists the benefits of its cat as stability without heeling, greater deck space and more interior volume, then adds, "faster cruising speeds under sail and power." The D/L of this design by the Endeavour design team is 147. I think you can expect some good off-the-wind speeds and some reasonable upwind speeds, provided there is sufficient breeze to let the cat overcome its wetted surface. Cort Steck of the Endeavour design team says that they see 10 knots on power reaches.

If the cat configuration offers any major benefits, it is the usable interior volume in this case. Considering an LOA of 30 feet, the Endeavour has the interior of a 40-foot monohull. There are two double berth staterooms, a head with shower, a spacious galley and a large U-shaped dinette. Headroom is 6 feet, 4 inches.

The deck of the 30-foot cat also shows its advantages. The cockpit is huge and too wide for a monohull that would heel. But the stability of the cat makes the wide cockpit work. Side decks are cut down to minimum, but all the sail control lines are led aft on the housetop, including a boom break for gybes.

The Endeavourcat has a SA/D of 18.58 so it has a big enough rig for sailing power, but the real enemy of the cats is their wetted surface. According to Cort Steck, you can't expect this boat to be a light air flyer, but it will sail with larger boats in a breeze. The rig is fractional with a huge main with lots of roach. I did not include the roach into my SA/D calculation. All mains have some roach, and since I never include it, I thought it would be deceptive to include it this time. The self-tacking jib will make short-handed sailing easy.

The editors have asked me to start a methodical explanation of my terms in upcoming articles, so we might as well get a start with roach. Roach is the area of the mainsail outside of a straight line taken between the head of the sail and the clew. Roach is not to be confused with leech. You can call the convex curvature of the leech the roach and roach generally refers to just how much the leech is convexly cured. A hollow leech or one with concave curvature has no roach. In order to make the roach of a mainsail stand without collapsing, you need battens. A main without battens needs to have a hollow leech, and usually the hollow leech will cup and be too tight. Full length battens allow the roach to be extended or maximized for additional sail area and a nice straight tail to the sail foil. Mains that stow into the mast are batten-less so almost always have hollow leeches, much like the leech of any genoa. Note that on the Endeavourcat both main and jib have roach and the battens to support it.

I look forward to inspecting the Endeavourcat at the Annapolis Boat Show.

Boat Specifications
LOA   30'
LWL   27'8"
Beam   14'6"
Draft   2'10"
Displacement   7000 lbs.
Sail Area   425 sq. ft.
SA/D   18.58
D/L   147
Fuel   75 gals.
Water   75 gals.
Auxiliary   Yanmar 27 hp outboard