Author Topic: It worked! Removal of cured 3M 5200 adhesive...for thru-hulls  (Read 10085 times)

Offline Sandy Claws - IC Hull #121

• Mate
    • Sandy Claws - website
It worked! Removal of cured 3M 5200 adhesive...for thru-hulls
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
Just a quick note to let you know about a new-to-me product that actual works.

Following my hurricane Irene haul-out, a cracked plastic OEM thru-hull was discovered. Closer inspection led to the replacement of all thru-hulls with new Forespar Marelon thru-hulls.
The OEM adhesive was unknown, but had a rubbery consistency when probed with fingernail or screwdriver. The goop was all over the interior side of each thru-hull nuts & threads.

This was new territory to me and I needed to learn the tricks of the trade. All on-line tips began AFTER the interior nuts were removed.
Hum... how do I get that crap off the fitting so that the nuts can be removed???

Here's a couple of suggestions:
  • Careful (very light) use of a heatgun to warm the adhesive makes removal MUCH easier. CAUTION: too much and you will delaminate the fiberglass, so go easy at 20 second increments on low until you get the hang of it.
  • The use of DeBond Marine Formula. Spray on, let sit for 20 seconds or so and off it comes!
  • The new thru-hulls were installed with Sikaflex 291 which was shown in the Forespar website installation how-to video. The cured Sikaflex 291 was an exact match for the OEM goop.
  • I would avoid using 3M 5200 as a marine bedding adhesive (unless you hate the future owner)

Additional information about DeBond Marine Formula:
  • The cheapest place I found to buy 2 or more 12oz cans: http://www.marineformula.com
  • For one 12 oz can: boemarine.com This ships from Maryland
  • For fun, call Westmarine and have them price match Boemarine (~50% off). It was worth the $2 additional shipping to listen to them squirm and try to explain/rationalize their price that was 150% over MSRP and 188% more than Boemarine! To their credit, it shipped from SC to VA by the 2nd day
  • I tested DeBond on cured silicone, cured Sikaflex 291, and cured 3M 5200. Each worked well. 3M 5200 took over a minute to completely loosen the ~1/8 thick film
  • Did I mention that all the nasty 3M 5200 is GONE!

Yes Virginia, there really is a Sandy Claws.....

DuaneFuller

Re: It worked! Removal of cured 3M 5200 adhesive...for thru-hulls
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 06:00:25 AM »
Just a quick note to let you know about a new-to-me product that actual works.

Following my hurricane Irene haul-out, a cracked plastic OEM thru-hull was discovered. Closer inspection led to the replacement of all thru-hulls with new Forespar Marelon thru-hulls.
The OEM adhesive was unknown, but had a rubbery consistency when probed with fingernail or screwdriver. The goop was all over the interior side of each thru-hull nuts & threads.

This was new territory to me and I needed to learn the tricks of the trade. All on-line tips began AFTER the interior nuts were removed.
Hum... how do I get that crap off the fitting so that the nuts can be removed???

Here's a couple of suggestions:
  • Careful (very led light) use of a heatgun to warm the adhesive makes removal MUCH easier. CAUTION: too much and you will delaminate the fiberglass, so go easy at 20 second increments on low until you get the hang of it.
  • The use of DeBond Marine Formula. Spray on, let sit for 20 seconds or so and off it comes!
  • The new thru-hulls were installed with Sikaflex 291 which was shown in the Forespar website installation how-to video. The cured Sikaflex 291 was an exact match for the OEM goop.
  • I would avoid using 3M 5200 as a marine bedding adhesive (unless you hate the future owner)
Additional information about DeBond Marine Formula:
  • The cheapest place I found to buy 2 or more 12oz cans: http://www.marineformula.com
  • For one 12 oz can: boemarine.com This ships from Maryland
  • For fun, call Westmarine and have them price match Boemarine (~50% off). It was worth the $2 additional shipping to listen to them squirm and try to explain/rationalize their price that was 150% over MSRP and 188% more than Boemarine! To their credit, it shipped from SC to VA by the 2nd day
  • I tested DeBond on cured silicone, cured Sikaflex 291, and cured 3M 5200. Each worked well. 3M 5200 took over a minute to completely loosen the ~1/8 thick film
  • Did I mention that all the nasty 3M 5200 is GONE!

Oh thanks for sharing very useful information. Thread is bit old and strange there is no reply to this awesome post.. Thanks again
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 12:49:58 PM by DuaneFuller »

Offline Bruce Phaup

• Administrator
  • Swabbie
    • Intercat 1500 - Hull #121 - Sandy Claws
Re: It worked! Removal of cured 3M 5200 adhesive...for thru-hulls
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:24:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum!
My feelings were not hurt, but everyone benefits from acknowledgment at least once or twice per decade  :D
Bruce Phaup
Intercat 1500 Hull #121